Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Tuesday in December.



1. I'm trying really hard to enjoy this holiday season. But it's tough this year. With us being sick and my dad being really sick added to the normal stress of the season, I'm just having a hard time really getting into it.
2. We did finally get our tree up. With a few mishaps and shenanigans, it really deserves it's own post :)
3. my advice to you: don't get divorced. It makes your children crazy well into their adulthood. This isn't meant to make either one of my parents feel bad. I understand now why it happened and I am essentially ok with it. I don't wish for my parents to be together or anything. It's just a fact. And Christmastime is the hardest.
4. more advice: if you have the means to do it, have more than one child. Again, this is nothing against my parents. I had a wonderful childhood, I really did. But now that I'm an adult, I have no one (like a sister) to b*tch to about family crap. So I come to the internets to complain instead. You're welcome!
5. I tried to make cookies yesterday for our charter school teacher. We meet with her once a month to make sure sure we're on track and following state standards for our grade level. Anyway, the cookies were a complete disaster X two. I wanted to make jam thumbprint cookies. I went to the internet in search of a recipe since I couldn't find the one I used to have. Anyway I made up the recipe, but doubled it since it only made 10 cookies. Who makes only 10 cookies?? Anyway, you're supposed to roll the dough in your hand then in sugar, then use your finger to make a well for the jam. Well, the dough was WAY way too crumbly. It wouldn't even stick together. FAIL #1. So I went back to the internet and found another, similar recipe and just added to what I already had mixed (probably a bad idea). They stayed together though, and I was able to get them in the oven. But then...Then the jam melted out all over the place. And the actual cookie? wouldn't even cook all the way. Even after 15 minutes. FAIL #2.
6. I made up a batch of regular old chocolate chip this morning and filled a little tin. You really can't go wrong with chocolate chip, right?
7. Why did I ever think $500 would be enough money to buy all the gifts on my list this year? $500 sounds like a decent amount, even too much really. But hot dang! money goes fast. Especially when Santa decided to go ahead and get child #1 what he really wanted. $500 for both kids, Pete, parents and 3 nieces + 1 nephew.
8. I'm going simple this year on the gifts. For my kids that pretty much means: something you want, something you need. I left out the something you wear and something to read. Only because Jake's gift was expensive and he doesn't need new clothes right now. I will probably get him a book though. I mean, how could I not? I'm still working on Megan's gifts, but she really doesn't "want" anything yet. She still hasn't quite grasped the concept like Jake has. And that's ok. I know what she likes so I got her that.
9. Yes, Santa caved and got Jake the Nintendo DSi XL. I wasn't going to do it. I had completely talked myself out of it. But there were several factors in my final decision: 1) I know it's what he really, really wanted. And I can't stand a disappointed kid on Christmas. 2) We don't own any other gaming system. No Wii, XBox, Playstation or any of that stuff. 3) Pete said, "WHAT?! you're not getting him that?" after I thought he didn't want him to have one. All that, plus I found a really good deal, I had a coupon on top of that and games were 50% off at Toys R Us. But he ain't gettin' nothin' else from us. Except maybe that book ;-)
10. I don't know what else to write. I'm exhausted just reading back what I wrote, and assume you must be too if you made it this far!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you have no siblings. But you were such a wonderful child I wasn't going to take any chances on a 2nd. What if I hated him/her? What if he/she wasn't as cute or nice as you? Would I be creating another weirdo all the while you were so cute and nice? Maybe if you'd been just an ok kid, kind of average and nothing special maybe you'd have a brother or a sister. You are my sunshine, my cute, nice, special one of a kind daughter whom I love more than any thing or any one. Maybe in your next life you'll have siblings. ;o) Mom

Corey said...

Mom, I love you very, very much. You are too sweet to me. I really don't want a sister or a brother. I see the crap other people go through with their siblings! ha! Sometimes though, I just wish there was someone who understood the drama. Someone who isn't my parent :> But I'm glad I never had to share my toys with anyone. Thank you for that! ;-D

nicole said...

i totally get what you mean about both divorce and siblings corey!!

i think dealing with parents that aren't together is SO much harder now that i'm adult!! when your younger i felt that they were much more sensitive about it but now all i feel is guilt no matter who i am with - and then i feel bad because my kids have to see that drama too! And yes my sister and i spend most of our time complaining about our parents and their "issues" :) when we talk to each other...however whenever my mom and i are together we talk about my sister and her issues and i'm sure they do the same about me!!

i so debated about the DS too..but for us it would have had to be three for christmas so i decided to wait until they either REALLY want it and are ok with that being it or get them for birthdays when i can stretch them out a bit.

i hope that you all are feeling better now and that your dad is getting better as well!!

(ps - your moms comment was pretty cute!)

CAmport said...

1. I hope you AND your dad feel better soon. I can't imagine going thru all that right at Christmas. We're all healthy here, but I get the stress part. Holy moly, I only WISH I'd been this busy during the deployment. Now...I just want to sit and breathe.

2. I want to hear that story!
3. I'm so glad my parents are still together. I can't even imagine having to do family stuff TWICE.
4. I agree, obviously. HA! I love my sister. As nuts as she makes me. And my brother, though he seems to have dropped off the face of the planet, I like him, too. I love hearing my sister say, "YOUR parents are driving me crazy!"
5. I never try new cookie recipes. It's always sugar cookies. Although, I did try the recipe you sent me, but since you recommended it, I assumed they would turn out. They did. They're gone. They were delicious.
6. True, true.
7-9. Oh my gosh, I haven't set a budget. I decided on 3 gifts, that's it. And I don't buy for anyone other than Sean and the boys. The extended family seems to get it now.

I can't decide if Simon really wants the DS. He talks about it sometimes, but not in a, "I GOTTA HAVE IT!" way.
10. I hope life chills so you CAN enjoy Christmas.

Brown English Muffin said...

Please stay out of my head....I'm an only child and I hate the fact that I don't have the sister to talk to...my husband just isn't the same no matter how hard he might try.

Jude said...

cyber sisters can handle your venting ;)
We got Lincoln a "big" gift too... an iPod. He had been saving and saving, so we made up the difference and now I am totally playing it up that he will need to save for a lot longer :) hee hee ;)
Sorry about the cookies! I got a recipe out this Sunday's Paper, I will let you know if they are decent!