Sunday, July 19, 2009

It's been a really long week. Having your kid on restriction kinda of sucks for everyone, not just the person it was meant for. It was ok though. We made the most of it. Jake still hasn't apologized to the lady across the street. It's not that we haven't tried, it's just that they haven't been home each time we've gone over there. At this point it's been well over a week and I just wonder if an apology is just kind of moot at this point. I don't know. But he probably still should apologize.
Anyway, Friday was my 3rd trip in 3 weeks up to Sacramento. It's only an hour and a half from my house, but when you go and you drive all that way and then stay there all day or all weekend and then drive back again it's just kind of tiring. Friday was good though. I met up with an old friend from high school. We hadn't seen each other since graduation 14 years ago. (i know! i'm getting old!) But it was so fun! It was just like old times. Thank you Facebook for making it all possible. Ha! Since I had the kids with me we decided to take them to see the new Ice Age movie in 3-D. It was really cute! And not bad in 3-D either. We'd seen Monsters vs. Aliens a few months ago and it just about made me sick from all the motion and those stupid glasses. Ice Age was much easier to watch.
During the week of no movies and no swimming I decided it was the perfect opportunity to get out some of my favorite kids books and read to the kids. Jake picked out Matilda by Roald Dahl. He is really loving it. He asks me to read and read and read some more. I just started it on Thursday I think and we're already 1/2 way through. The best part is when he gets all snugly next to me and puts his head down on my lap. That's not going to last forever. Read to your kids! Our next book in line is The Phantom Tollbooth. Oh I just love that one!!

*Other random bits from our life:

Megan has given herself her own nick-name. She calls herself Sissy. It's funny because I've never called her that. She just figured it out on her own I guess. Sometimes I call her Missy or Little Girl or Megs but I've never called her Sissy. She usually says "I'm not Missy I'm Megan!" But now sometimes she says "I'm not Megan, I'm Sissy!" She's a funny little thing.

Jake has become fearless in the water. That is, with one catch..... He has to wear arm floaties. In the baby pool or hot tub or anywhere he's comfortably touching the bottom he's fine. But put him where he has to tip toe or not touch and he's a dead weight. But with the arm floaties...he might as well have angels wings on. The kid jumps in, goes under and now does front flips from the side of the pool. I'm sure he'd be fine with out them, but they make him feel safe. No matter what, it sure is nice to see him actually enjoying himself and really having fun, rather than sitting around sulking like he used to. Sooner or later one of his friends is going to tease him about the floaties and he'll take 'em off.

Speaking of Jake...School starts in 3 and a half weeks! I can't believe how fast this summer has flown by. I'm so not ready. He is though. He asks me every day...how many days is it till school starts? That won't last forever either.

Anyway, I'm rambling...

1 comment:

camport said...

Simon still uses arm floaties, too. There's nothing I can do to convince him that he actually has the ability to swim w/o 'em.

I think maybe we'll hit the library today if I can dig up an old library card.

AND, I can't believe school is right around the corner. I think it's going to be another mad dash to get Simon registered. Hopefully, TX has better schools than NC.

:)