Thursday, January 03, 2008

Do you believe in ghosts?

This is such a complete random post! But it kind of lets you into a little bit more about me and where I came from...and I like talking about me. HA!
I don't know why I'm posting about this...but I was bored today and while blog surfing, I came upon a post about why someone believed in ghosts. I definitely think there are spirits...whether they are ghosts or not, I could not tell you. I used to turn my stereo off and it would pop back on like a minute later...I used to think that was a ghost. Could it have been? Or, was it just a glitch in my remote control or something? Anyway, as I was surfing, one thing led to another and I remembered the Vineyard House. This was a known haunted house not far from where I grew up. I lived near the town of Coloma in Northern California. Coloma was the site of the first gold discovery in California. In 1849 James Marshall was a working the water mill on the American River and came upon a large chunk-o-gold and the rest was history.....hundreds of thousands flocked to California from all over the world in search of fortune and fame. Anyways, back to the Vineyard House...this house is literally yards from the gold discovery site..it was built in the mid 1800's by a man and his wife and they obviously, by the name, were wine makers. The husband was said to have contracted syphilis...which in turn caused him mental health issues (umm which means he went crazy) the wife then chained her husband in a cell in the basement, where then, because of is mental issues, refused to eat and died of starvation. How crazy is that?!
In the 80's and 90's when I lived near there, the Vineyard House was a restaurant, bar and bed and breakfast. It was a known fact that the house was haunted. I'd been there several times, and don't recall actually seeing a ghost, (well, maybe...but not an actual apparition) but I do recall just an eerie feeling. Several people I know had been there and seen wine glasses explode on dinner tables, and once a chandelier dropped right onto a table. One time I was in there with my grandma...it was the middle of the afternoon and we were the only ones there except the lady that ran the gift shop. I remember standing there near the bottom of the stair well as she was talking. I could have sworn I heard the sound of someone coming down the stairs...like steps on the wooden floor and clothes rustling. But there was no one there. Was it a ghost?
Across the street from the house is a cemetery which I've walked through several times. I love old cemeteries! (is that weird?) I think I really love that there is history there. Like the evidence of humanity before me. If that makes sense. Like you read it in history books...but then you can see it for real. Ok, probably I only get that...that's ok! Back to the cemetery...that is supposed to be haunted too. The family who owned the Vineyard house is all buried there...along with many other settlers of their time. My good friend has family buried there dating from gold rush days to present day. I think that is so neat.
There is another cemetery not far from there in another little town...the Lotus Cemetery...Now that one..I can honestly say something very, very strange happened to me there. My parents had some friends visiting from out of town. So of course we had to take them to the "bone yard" as they called it. This cemetery is just as old as the first one I mentioned. Anyways, for some reason I decided to go off by myself...i didn't really want to be there and I was sick of listening to old people talk...I had this thing where I would never ever walk on a grave site..I stood in front of a headstone reading it and noticed it had a huge crack going right through the middle of it. I just kept looking at it...staring at it. And I it started swaying a little. Was I imagining it? I stood there and stared more. I started to feel a little dizzy. And then....the top half of the headstone fell flat on the ground. No joke. I ran so fast and found the adults. They completely did not believe me. They thought I was joking. "No! come look! for real, I'm NOT joking". We went back to the grave site and I kid you not....the broken headstone was back where it belonged. Was it a ghost? I have no idea...but I have no other explanation for it. And I've never forgotten it.
As I continued to surf the net today about the Vineyard House, I came upon several different articles which spoke about the "spookiness" of the California Gold Country. I'd definitely have to agree...there does seem to be something in the air there. I mean think about it. The gold rush was a tough life. Many people came here for fortune and wound up losing everything. Money makes people crazy. There was lots o killin going on in those days...so why not be haunted by it? But it is a beautiful place...and I really miss it.
So...do you have any ghost stories? Experience anything wacky? Know of any urban legends?
p.s....my other blog has been updated. Anonymous posters can comment now!

6 comments:

camport said...

The short version...when Simon was a month old, my boss killed himself. Sean worked night shift, so I was home alone most nights, just me and Simon. When I'd close his door after putting him down for the night, I could feel someone watching me from the bathroom{maybe 2 feet away}. I would also feel someone when I would be brushing my teeth or doing something in the bathroom when I'd look down. It was like I'd see something in the mirror in my peripheral vision and by the time I looked up, it was gone.

Strangest experience I've ever had and it went on for several months. Needless to say, I did a LOT of praying in those few months!

")

Melissa said...

NO ghost stories to share, but I am the most "nervous nelly" when it comes to certain things...I freak out at the most minute things...

Your stories spooked me that's for sure.

Cheryl Wray said...

No ghost stories...but just had to comment that I also LOVE to walk through old cemetaries. I mostly love to look at all the names!

Kimberly White said...

I have no ghost stories either, but I do like walking through old cemetaries ... probally the same reason why I like old pics and scrapping, and historical fiction ... the history! Have a great day my friend! Kim

Anonymous said...

BWa-Ha-Ha! You're so funny corey! Bone yards are a great place to learn about the local history. You're also very lucky to have grown up in a place like that. Sitting on the school bus every day driving by the Gold Discovery site! Crossing the American River where hundreds and thousands of people worked (and slaved) every day for a few ounces of dust! Hoping for that nugget that would make him/her rich beyond their imagination and return them home to their loved ones only to end up claim jumped, dead and buried in the Coloma "bone yard". . . . . Mom

Jude said...

We think little old lady who used to lived here (um, and died a few feet from where I am typing!) sometimes turns our heat up and down!!! LOL...