Wednesday, November 05, 2008

So, my first thought was...

"So Pete, we're moving to Canada, right?"
If not Canada, how about Alaska? :)

I am filled with mixed emotions today. Who knew I could care so much about an election? I never thought I would. Obviously not every one will share my feelings on the outcome of this election. But lets just agree to disagree, ok?
I'm still cringing when I listen to the radio and hear the replaying of "The 44th President of the United States of America.....Barack Obama!" and then the crowd cheers. It brings tears to my eyes and fills me with anxiety. And honestly, I'm not exactly sure where that anxiety is coming from. But for some reason it's there. I think it amazes me that so many people can overlook inexperience, the fact that's he's BFF's with known terrorists, that's he's totally ok with late term abortion, that he won't put his hand over his heart during the National Anthem, that his wife has never been proud of her country (until now of course)....I suppose I could go on and on. But it's over, and there's no sense in harping on it now.
Barack Obamas' campaign was one of "Hope" and "Change" for many Americans. I think change is inevitable. And whether it's for the better or for the worse, only time will tell. All we can do now is pray for him. Pray that he can lead this country to better times. And hope, well there is always hope.
One thing I can say for President Obama: Through this campaign he brought passion back into Americans. Whether you were for or against him, he caused people to look around and stand up for what they wanted and believed in. I'd never seen so many people really excited to vote. This was the first time Pete has ever voted. He also has a friend he works with who is 50 years old and voted for the very first time yesterday. Not only did this election cause me to be eager to elect a president, but it lead me to look more intently on many State and local elections and propositions. I never cared about any of it before. Mostly because I just didn't understand, or take the time to understand. This year I took the time to understand and when I cast my vote, I was proud of the decisions I made.

3 comments:

Allison said...

So true. This is my 3rd time to vote for the loser, so I'm kind of used to feeling that kind of disappointment by now. At least Obama can speak the English language, so I guess it can't be all bad.

Kimberly White said...

What an eloquent post Corey ... love your thoughts ... especially about praying. I think that helps ALOT! And you are VERY WELCOME to move to CANADA! Preferably Alberta =)
Kim
PS, I really love your layout this week at Unpubbed!

Cheryl Wray said...

I was so proud to see so many Americans come out and vote. I am hopeful for his presidency. But I have A LOT of friends who aren't, so I can understand your feelings.

Hope you're having a good weekend!